Previously it was reported that legendary record producer Clive Davis plans to bring “My Fair Lady” back to Broadway next year, and now it appears he is eyeing Anne Hathaway and Colin Firth for the leading roles in the production.
According to an interview Davis gave to USA Today, Hathaway and Firth are his “first choices” for the roles of Eliza and Higgins, respectively. This would make more sense as both were rumored to be up for the same roles in a new screen adaptation, though plans for that production fell through.
Davis said that Hathway “preceded her triumph in ‘Les Mis,’” and said that he plans to ask her about the musical after the Academy Awards. Hathaway is up for an Oscar for her role as Fantine in last year’s film adaptation of “Les Miserables.” The winner will be announced this Sunday, February 24 at the 85th Academy Awards ceremony.
Davis also said that his current choice for director is Tony Award-winner Bartlett Sher, best known for his work on “South Pacific,” “Joe Turner’s Come and Gone” and “Golden Boy.”
When previously announcing the project, Davis told the Los Angeles Times that, “I always wanted to produce a Broadway show, and I’ve never done it. I’m hopeful we will prepare and finalize everything this year to bring ‘My Fair Lady’ next year to Broadway with a stellar cast. I don’t want to jinx myself, but we’re in discussions with two magnificent performers and a wonderful director to do it.”
He also said he was disappointed that the quality of many of the songs in today’s musicals don’t live up to those of the past.
“I was always hoping that the tradition of great musicals giving birth to songs that are part of the fabric of our culture would continue,” he said. “But that has not happened. We’ve had hit Broadway shows, but the scores have not really been up to that golden-era tradition.”